Houston Truck Accident Attorney
Semi-Truck, 18-Wheeler & Commercial Vehicle Accidents
When collisions happen between passenger vehicles and large 18-wheelers, semi-trucks, and other commercial vehicles, the injuries and losses are often devastating. This is due to the sheer size and weight difference between the vehicles, as well as the potential cargo the truck was carrying at the time of the accident. Unfortunately for victims, navigating the aftermath of the accident is not only physical and emotionally demanding but also financially challenging, as medical bills begin piling up and victims are forced to take time off work to heal.
Recovering compensation after such an accident is possible—but difficult. If you or a family member has been injured in an accident involving a big rig or another large truck, it is important to enlist an experienced attorney to help ensure your rights are protected.
At Payne Law Firm, we have helped numerous clients who have suffered catastrophic injuries in these types of accidents, including serious brain injuries, spinal cord injuries, amputations, broken bones, and more. We also handle cases involving the wrongful deaths of truck accident victims. Our founding attorney, Jason E. Payne, is Board Certified in Personal Injury Trial Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization, a designation that sets him apart from many other lawyers. He and our entire team are highly skilled at taking cases to trial and will argue your case in front of a judge and/or jury whenever necessary.
Common Causes of Truck Crashes
Many different factors can contribute to a truck accident.
Some of the more common reasons include:
- Driver Negligence: Drivers who are speeding, driving recklessly, drinking and driving, and/or abusing drugs are putting everyone on the road in jeopardy. Drivers who are conducting themselves in an illegal manner and driving carelessly need to be held responsible.
- Driver Fatigue and Falling Asleep at the Wheel: Drivers are under enormous pressure to get their loads to the destination as quickly as possible. They may push themselves to stay awake to continue driving—often in violation of hours-of-service regulations. Unfortunately, this often leads to drowsy driving, extreme fatigue, and drivers falling asleep at the wheel.
- Failure to Properly Maintain the Truck: Maintenance is of the utmost importance when it comes to 18-wheelers and other large commercial trucks. If they are not maintained on a regular basis, the trucks can fall into disrepair and be a danger to everyone on the road, including the drivers themselves.
- Overloaded/Unbalanced Cargo: There is a certain way the cargo must be loaded into the trailers of trucks to ensure safety. When the cargo is not loaded properly, the trailer is overloaded, or the cargo is unsecured, the situation becomes dangerous. The truck can become incredibly difficult to control or the cargo may become dislodged and spill onto the road.
These and other factors can lead to devastating accidents, resulting in catastrophic bodily injury and loss of life. Proving who is responsible for a truck accident is often very difficult, which is why it is critical that you hire an experienced personal injury attorney for help with your claim.
Who Is Liable for a Truck Accident?
As mentioned above, liability in truck accident cases is very complex. Unlike standard car accident cases, the at-fault driver may not be the only liable party; you may need to file a claim against an entirely separate entity.
Any of the following parties (and others) could be liable for a truck accident:
- The truck driver
- The trucking company
- The manufacturer of a defective truck/truck part
- The person/party responsible for truck maintenance
- The entity responsible for truck repairs
- The construction company that designed or built a defective roadway
- A third-party motorist
Because truck drivers are typically “on the clock” when accidents occur, their employers are often liable. This means that you may need to file a claim against the trucking company itself and seek compensation under its insurance policy. However, these insurance companies are heavily invested in undervaluing and denying claims to save money and protect their bottom lines. As a result, the insurance company will likely fight back against your claim, arguing that you were partially at fault for the accident or even that their policyholder, the trucking company, is not liable whatsoever.
In some cases, other entities, such as product manufacturers or truck repair companies, could be partially or wholly liable for your damages. At Payne Law Firm, we know how to properly investigate truck accident claims to determine what happened and who is legally responsible for your losses. We often work with a team of experts, comprising accident reconstructionists and others, who help us build powerful cases that prove our clients’ losses and the defendants’ liability.
Damages in Truck Accident Cases
Victims of large truck accidents and other commercial vehicle collisions are likely to sustain severe, life-altering injuries. In some cases, victims are killed, and their families are left to pick up the pieces. At Payne Law Firm, our Houston truck accident attorneys understand the immense impact these accidents have, and we know what it takes to recover maximum compensation for our clients.
Depending on the specifics of your case, we may be able to help you recover the following damages:
- Emergency medical care
- Rehabilitation, surgery, and other treatments
- Ongoing and future medical care
- Medical expenses incurred prior to the death of a loved one
- Lost income, wages, and employment benefits
- Pain and suffering, including conscious pain and suffering experienced by the deceased
- Emotional distress, anguish, and trauma
- Lost future earnings and lost earning capacity due to disability
- Reasonable and necessary funeral/burial costs
- Loss of life enjoyment/quality of life
- Loss of love, companionship, consortium, guidance, and counsel
- Loss of services and support (financial and otherwise) provided by a loved one who died
In some cases, we may even be able to recover punitive damages, which are meant to punish defendants for egregious negligence or intentional, willful, or wanton conduct. To learn more about the potential value of your claim and the types of damages you may be able to recover, we encourage you to contact our team and request a complimentary consultation and case evaluation.
Understanding the Complexities of Truck Accident Cases
Many different federal and state regulations govern truck drivers and owners. These regulations may impact how your 18-wheeler or other large truck accident case is handled. These factors can become very complicated as we investigate all aspects of the case.
Our firm has extensive knowledge of these rules and regulations, as well as the laws that govern how truck accident cases are handled in Texas. Since 2004, we have been representing victims of serious truck accidents in Houston, Harris County, and the entire state, successfully securing millions of dollars in settlements and verdicts. Our award-winning team offers aggressive, results-oriented representation, coupled with compassionate, client-focused service. We prioritize consistent communication, honesty, and integrity and work to ensure our clients are always informed about the details of their cases.
To schedule your free consultation, call our firm at (713) 999-4801 or contact us online today. Hablamos español.
“Payne Law Firm was invaluable in helping my family navigate the most difficult situation we had ever experienced. Mr. Payne and his entire staff were professional, responsive, and empathetic throughout the entire process.” - Fatimar J.
“My experience with "Payne Law Firm" was extraordinary! They were efficient, professional, and persistent. I have and will continue to recommend “Payne Law Firm” because you are treated like family!” - Sheori S.
“My experience at Payne Law Firm was very pleasant. I had no worries at all. He was there for everything I needed help with.” - Gloria J.
“I have used Payne Law Firm services on several different occasions and have always been pleased with the outcomes.” - Leonard J.
“Payne Law Firm calmed my fears and assisted with easing my pain, by always being available to answer my questions, calming my fears, explaining the law to me in layman’s terms, while offering comfort and support.” - Joyre T.
After a semi-truck, 18-wheeler, big rig, or commercial vehicle accident, you deserve justice—and Payne Law Firm can help. We offer free initial consultations and contingency fees, meaning you do not owe anything unless/until we recover compensation for you.
You only have two years from the date of the accident (in most cases) to file your lawsuit, so do not wait until it is too late. Reach out to our office in Houston today to schedule a complimentary case evaluation with a member of our legal team.
Full TransparencyOur team knows the importance of your case and is committed to doing what is best for you.
Battle-TestedWe not only understand the complexities of insurance companies but know how to fight them.
A History of SuccessWe have helped over a thousand injured individuals and families get the compensation they deserved.
Client-FocusedWe will help you every step of the way, providing answers to your questions and continuing to update you on the status of your case.