Houston Burn Injury Lawyer
Severe Burn Injury Claims
Burn injuries are both physically devastating and emotionally scarring. Victims often must contend with permanent disfigurement, chronic pain, and other complications, making it difficult to heal and move forward. To make matters worse, the costs associated with treating severe burn injuries are often in the tens to hundreds of thousands of dollars range.
At Payne Law Firm, we understand how challenging it is to get back on your feet after an accident leaves you with serious burns—but the good news is you might be entitled to financial compensation for your medical bills, lost income, and pain and suffering. While financial compensation cannot undo the trauma you have endured, it can provide the financial relief and sense of justice you need to heal.
Since 2004, our Houston burn injury lawyers have helped victims of all types of accidents hold negligent parties accountable. We provide personal attention, compassionate guidance, and aggressive advocacy at every stage of the legal process.
For serious representation, contact Payne Law Firm online or call us at (713) 999-4801. Your initial consultation is free.
Damages for Burn Injury Victims
Treating moderate and severe burn injuries is often time-consuming, painful, and costly. Depending on the nature, severity, and location of your injuries, you may require hospitalization, fluids, surgery, skin grafting, medication, and other treatments. This can not only result in massive medical bills but can also keep you out of work for weeks or even months.
At Payne Law Firm, our attorneys fight for maximum compensation for our clients. We can help you seek the following damages and more:
- Emergency medical treatment
- Surgery, rehabilitation, and other treatments
- Ongoing and future medical care
- Lost income/wages
- Pain and suffering
- Lost future earnings/earning capacity
- Emotional anguish, distress, and trauma
- Counseling services/therapy
Our goal is to help you heal by working to recover the maximum settlement or verdict you deserve. When you trust your case to our team, you can rest assured that we will do everything in our power to fight for you and your recovery.
Types of Burn Injuries
When we think of burn injuries, we typically think of those caused by contact with hot surfaces and items, such as fire-related burns. However, there are several different types of burns, all of which can be incredibly serious.
The different types of burns include:
- Thermal Burns: Thermal burns result from contact between the skin and hot objects, surfaces, and substances, such as flames, scalding liquids, and steam.
- Electrical Burns: Electrical burns, sometimes referred to as electric shock, are caused by contact with live electrical currents, such as lightening or exposed wiring.
- Chemical Burns: Chemical burns occur when a person’s skin comes into contact with abrasive chemicals or strong/harmful solvents, detergents, and similar substances.
- Radiation Burns: Radiation burns are those caused by all types of radiation; sunburns are an example of a radiation burn, as are burns caused by certain medical treatments.
- Friction “Burns:” Friction burns, also commonly known as road rash, are a combination of skin abrasions (scrapes) and heat burns.
- Cold “Burns:” Cold burns, also known as frostbite, are not technically burns but, rather, damage to the skin caused by extreme cold.
Regardless of type, the location, severity, and extent of a burn are typically the factors used to determine how severe the injury is and whether emergency medical care is required.
Additionally, burn injuries are categorized according to degree:
- First-Degree Burns: Recognized as the mildest type of burn injury, first-degree burns typically result in localized pain, redness, and swelling. Most first-degree burns can be treated with at-home care and over-the-counter pain medications.
- Second-Degree Burns: With a second-degree burn, the outer layer of skin (epidermis) and lower layer (dermis) are both damaged. Second-degree burns often result in significant redness and pain, as well as swelling and a shiny appearance to the affected skin.
- Third-Degree Burns: Third-degree burns are considered “severe” burn injuries. Like second-degree burns, they affect both the epidermis and dermis but typically cause more damage than lesser burns. Symptoms of a third-degree burn include “charring” of the skin, resulting in a black, white, brown, or yellow appearance. Often, third-degree burns lead to numbness, rather than pain, as nerve endings are significantly damaged.
- Fourth-Degree Burns: Considered the most severe of all burn injuries, fourth-degree burns are similar to third-degree burns in that they result in significant damage to the epidermis and dermis. Additionally, fourth-degree burns cause damage to surrounding tissue, muscles, tendons, ligaments, and even bones.
Moderate and severe burns are considered catastrophic injuries. They can be life-threatening and may lead to a whole host of complications, from toxic shock to hypo/hyperthermia to infection, sepsis, and even death. It is absolutely critical that burn injury victims receive immediate medical attention.
Common Causes of Burn Injuries
Some of the most common causes of burn injuries include:
- Explosions and fires
- Car, motorcycle, 18-wheeler/semi-truck & other vehicle accidents
- Defective products
- Exposure to radiation
- Handling hot objects/substances
- Dangerous chemicals
- Exposed electrical wiring
- Unsafe property conditions
Frequently, burn injuries result from accidents that could have—and should have—been prevented. When this is the case, victims and/or their loved ones can take legal action against the liable party and seek financial compensation for their resulting damages.
If you believe someone else was at fault for the accident or incident that caused your burn injuries, contact Payne Law Firm right away to discuss your options with our Houston burn injury attorneys. It is important that you act quickly, as Texas law only allows you to file a personal injury lawsuit for two years after the date of injury. If you fail to bring your claim within this statute of limitations, your case will be dismissed.
Contact us online or by phone at (713) 999-4801 today to get started.
“Payne Law Firm was invaluable in helping my family navigate the most difficult situation we had ever experienced. Mr. Payne and his entire staff were professional, responsive, and empathetic throughout the entire process.” - Fatimar J.
“My experience with "Payne Law Firm" was extraordinary! They were efficient, professional, and persistent. I have and will continue to recommend “Payne Law Firm” because you are treated like family!” - Sheori S.
“My experience at Payne Law Firm was very pleasant. I had no worries at all. He was there for everything I needed help with.” - Gloria J.
“I have used Payne Law Firm services on several different occasions and have always been pleased with the outcomes.” - Leonard J.
“Payne Law Firm calmed my fears and assisted with easing my pain, by always being available to answer my questions, calming my fears, explaining the law to me in layman’s terms, while offering comfort and support.” - Joyre T.
Schedule a Free Consultation Today
We know that getting back on your feet after suffering significant burn injuries is challenging, and we want to help. We encourage you to take the first step in your recovery by contacting Payne Law Firm today and request a complimentary case evaluation with a member of our legal team. From our office in Houston, we proudly serve clients throughout Harris County and beyond, offering caring legal services and tireless advocacy.
We provide our services on a contingency fee basis, meaning you do not owe anything unless we win your case. We can assist you in English and Spanish and are happy to answer any questions you may have.
What Sets Us Apart
Serious Lawyers for Serious Accidents
Client-FocusedWe will help you every step of the way, providing answers to your questions and continuing to update you on the status of your case.
A History of SuccessWe have helped over a thousand injured individuals and families get the compensation they deserved.
Battle-TestedWe not only understand the complexities of insurance companies but know how to fight them.
Full TransparencyOur team knows the importance of your case and is committed to doing what is best for you.
Get Serious Today
When you have been injured, you need a serious lawyer. Contact us today.
*Filling out this form does not constitute an attorney-client relationship