Houston Bicycle Accident Lawyer
Representing those injured in Bike Accidents in Harris County & Throughout Texas
Whether you ride your bike for fun, take part in amateur races, or rely on your bicycle for daily transportation, you face certain significant risks every time you share the road with motor vehicles. Every year, thousands of bicyclists are injured or killed by careless and reckless drivers throughout Texas, including in busy areas like Houston. And while there are certain things you can do to keep yourself safe, you cannot always protect yourself from the negligent conduct of others.
If you were injured in a bike accident, you may have grounds for a personal injury claim. At Payne Law Firm, our Houston bicycle accident lawyers can help you understand your legal rights following an accident, including your potential right to financial compensation. We are known for our aggressive approach, as well as our compassionate, client-focused service. To date, we have recovered millions of dollars in compensation on behalf of injured individuals and the families of those wrongfully killed, and our team is ready to fight for you.
On This Page:
- What Are the Most Common Causes of Bicycle Accidents?
- Common Bicycle Accident Injuries
- What To Do After a Bike Accident
- How To Claim Insurance After a Bike Accident
- How Much Compensation Will I Get?
Generally speaking, the leading cause of bicycle accidents in Texas and throughout the United States is negligence. Whether you were struck by a motor vehicle while sharing the road or were involved in a crash with another bicyclist, chances are, the accident could have been—and should have been—prevented.
Some of the leading causes of bicycle accidents that can be attributed to negligence include:
- General carelessness
- Distracted driving
- Driving while intoxicated/drunk driving
- Fatigued driving
- Failure to yield the right of way
- Unsafe turns, including turning without checking blind spots
- Unlawful passing
- Failure to maintain a safe distance
- Disobeying traffic laws/rules of the road
- Dangerous lane changes
- Driving in designated bicycle lanes
- Opening car doors suddenly/without looking
Because cyclists have relatively little protection, even when they wear the proper safety gear, motorists have a responsibility to drive with caution and safely share the road with people on bikes. When they fail to do so, they can be held legally responsible for resulting damages.
Because of the unprotected nature of a bicycle, when a cyclist is hit by a car their injuries tend to be quite serious. Studies show that the most common injuries sustained in car vs. bike accidents include:
- Head injuries - concussions, traumatic brain injuries, facial injuries
- Back injuries - spinal cord injuries, injured discs, neck injuries, paralysis
- Broken bones - fractures, dislocations, serious breaks
- Soft tissue injuries - bruises, sprains, pulled or torn muscles
Each of these injuries may require extensive surgery and physical therapy in order to restore you to your former health. In some cases a full recovery isn't possible, which may mean increased costs for you as you seek to adapt your life to accommodate new physical limitations.
If you are involved in a bicycle accident, there are several steps you should take to protect both your immediate safety and your rights.
To the best of your ability, try to do the following after a bicycle accident:
- Check yourself for injuries and, if necessary, call 911. Remain at the scene and wait for help to arrive. Avoid saying anything that could be construed as admitting fault.
- Get the other party’s name, phone number, address, and insurance information, if possible. If the driver flees the scene, try to record any information you can about them or their vehicle.
- Have the police come out to the scene of the accident and file an accident report. In Texas, you must report any accident resulting in injury, death, or property damage of over $1,000.
- Document the scene by taking pictures of the crash, your bike, and your injuries. Talk to any witnesses and, if possible, get their name(s) and contact information.
- If you do not receive emergency medical care, see a doctor or another health care provider as soon as possible after the accident.
- Preserve evidence that can be useful in your claim, such as the clothing you were wearing and your bike in its current condition. Avoid having your bike repaired until your claim is resolved.
- Seek professional advice from a qualified attorney. You should discuss your options with a lawyer who can help you prepare your claim and fight for fair compensation.
Because Texas follows a fault-based system, you will likely need to prove that the motorist who hit you or the other person or party responsible for the accident was negligent or acted wrongfully in some way. Your attorney can help you in this process by investigating the accident, collecting evidence, gathering medical records, and submitting necessary documents along with your official claim.
If you want to file a claim with your own insurance company following your accident, you should reach out to your insurance company over the phone and speak with them about filing a claim. However, if you wish to pursue a claim against the driver's insurance, or run into issues with your own insurance company, our team is just a phone call away.
Some quick tips for filing an insurance claim after a bike accident include:
- Keeping all receipts and invoices from doctor's visits, prescription medication, bicycle repair, etc.
- Avoid speculating with either insurance company about what you think happened
- Do not give any information to the driver's insurance company without first speaking to a lawyer
We can't give you an exact estimate of how big a settlement you may be eligible for without knowing the details of your case. Your exact settlement amount will vary depending on the following:
- How severe your injuries were
- What kind of negligence played a part in causing your accident
- Whether or not you had any fault in the accident
- Whether the driver was intoxicated or breaking the law in some way at the time of your accident
- What kind of damage was done to your personal property
- Whether or not your injuries will affect your ability to work in the future
“Payne Law Firm was invaluable in helping my family navigate the most difficult situation we had ever experienced. Mr. Payne and his entire staff were professional, responsive, and empathetic throughout the entire process.” - Fatimar J.
“My experience with "Payne Law Firm" was extraordinary! They were efficient, professional, and persistent. I have and will continue to recommend “Payne Law Firm” because you are treated like family!” - Sheori S.
“My experience at Payne Law Firm was very pleasant. I had no worries at all. He was there for everything I needed help with.” - Gloria J.
“I have used Payne Law Firm services on several different occasions and have always been pleased with the outcomes.” - Leonard J.
“Payne Law Firm calmed my fears and assisted with easing my pain, by always being available to answer my questions, calming my fears, explaining the law to me in layman’s terms, while offering comfort and support.” - Joyre T.
At Payne Law Firm, we believe that negligent and reckless motorist should be brought to justice. We can help you fight for fair compensation for your medical bills, lost wages, lost quality of life, pain and suffering, and other damages. We leverage our years of experience and reputation for aggressive advocacy to the benefit of our clients, pushing back against insurance companies’ attempts to dispute, devalue, or deny rightful claims.
When you turn to Payne Law Firm, you can trust that we will fight for you. Our Houston bicycle accident lawyers understand your unique challenges, concerns, and needs. We develop personalized legal strategies and work directly with our clients so that they can feel confident in their cases. We are available to discuss your bike accident case at no cost to you, and we do not collect any attorney fees unless we secure a settlement or verdict on your behalf.
Client-FocusedWe will help you every step of the way, providing answers to your questions and continuing to update you on the status of your case.
A History of SuccessWe have helped over a thousand injured individuals and families get the compensation they deserved.
Battle-TestedWe not only understand the complexities of insurance companies but know how to fight them.
Full TransparencyOur team knows the importance of your case and is committed to doing what is best for you.