Houston Slip and Fall Lawyer
Slip, Trip, and Fall Accidents
When you visit someone else’s property, you never expect to be injured. Unfortunately, thousands of Americans are hurt in serious slip and fall accidents every year, often with devastating consequences.
At Payne Law Firm, we understand the severe and complex nature of premises liability cases. Our Houston slip and fall attorneys have extensive experience helping injured individuals and the families of those wrongfully killed successfully navigate the legal process and recover the compensation they were owed. If you need help holding a negligent property owner accountable and seeking fair financial recovery for your medical bills, lost income, and pain and suffering after a slip and fall accident, do not wait to contact our firm. We provide free initial consultations and contingency fees, meaning you do not owe anything unless we recover compensation for you.
Common Causes of Slip and Fall Accidents
While it is possible for people to slip, trip, and fall due to a wide variety of factors, the most common element is negligence. When property owners fail to conduct adequate maintenance or remove, repair, or warn others of hazardous conditions, visitors can be seriously injured.
Some of the most common causes of slip and fall accidents include:
- Wet floors
- Unmarked spills
- Pooled water/liquids
- Slippery surfaces
- Uneven floors
- Missing handrails
- Defective steps/stairs
- Defective sidewalks
- Unsafe structures
- Overcrowded walkways
- Inadequate signage
- Poor lighting
These and other conditions all pose a foreseeable risk of injury, meaning any reasonable person could see that these conditions might lead to an accident that would result in premises liability injuries or harm. As such, property owners have a legal responsibility to promptly and properly remove, repair, or warn others of these hazards so as to prevent injury. Failure to do so could constitute negligence, and the property owner could be held legally liable.
Who Is Responsible for a Slip and Fall Accident?
In Texas, it is possible to hold negligent property owners accountable for slip and fall accidents. In other words, you may be able to bring a personal injury claim or premises liability lawsuit against the property owner if you can prove several important elements.
To hold a property owner liable for your damages after a slip, trip, and fall accident, you must prove the following elements:
- Duty of Care: First and foremost, you must prove that the property owner owed you a duty of care. According to Texas premises liability law, property owners owe varying duties of care to different types of visitors. Invitees and licensees, or individuals who are legally allowed to enter the property, are owed the highest duty of care. When it comes to trespassers, or those who are not legally allowed to enter the property, the only duty of care owed by property owners is to refrain from causing willful or wanton injury or harm.
- Breach: Next, you must prove that the property owner breached the duty of care. Typically, this entails proving that there was a dangerous condition that the property owner knew about or reasonably should have known about but failed to take appropriate/adequate steps to remove, repair, or warn others of. For example, if a property owner failed to install proper handrails on a stairwell and a person slipped and fell down those stairs, this could be considered a breach of the duty of care.
- Injuries and Damages: You must also prove that you were injured and/or suffered measurable damages while lawfully on the property. In premises liability cases, damages can be both economic and non-economic in nature and may include things like medical expenses, lost wages, and pain and suffering. However, if you slipped and fell but were not injured and/or did not suffer any measurable damages, you do not have a case.
- Causation: Lastly, you will need to prove that the presence of the dangerous condition was the proximate or direct cause of your injuries and/or damages. In other words, you must prove that, had the property owner adequately repaired, removed, or warned of the dangerous condition, you would not have been injured. You may also need to prove that you were not acting negligently and that the dangerous condition was not open and obvious, meaning you could have reasonably avoided it, to file a claim.
At Payne Law Firm, our slip and fall lawyers in Houston have extensive experience navigating the legal process on behalf of injured victims and the loved ones of those wrongfully killed. We have helped victims of all types of slip, trip, and fall accidents, including those occurring on public and private property, as well as government-controlled land. We have fought for those injured after slipping on wet floors or tripping on fallen merchandise, individuals who fell to lower levels or were injured in structural collapses, and many other complex and challenging situations.
Compensation for Victims
Although many people think of slipping and falling as not all that serious, the truth is, victims can sustain severe, catastrophic injuries. In fact, falls are among the leading causes of both traumatic brain injuries and spinal cord injuries, not to mention other injuries like broken bones, concussions, and internal damage. Victims often require extensive medical treatment and may be out of work for weeks or even months. They are also likely to deal with significant pain and suffering as a result of their injuries.
At Payne Law Firm, we fight for maximum compensation for all your damages, possibly including but not limited to:
- Current and future medical expenses
- Lost income, wages, and employment benefits
- Lost future earnings due to partial or total disability
- Pain and suffering, including emotional distress
- Lost earning ability
- In-home care and home modifications
- Disfigurement and inconvenience
Since 2004, our premises liability law firm has successfully recovered numerous favorable settlements and verdicts for our clients, amounting to millions of dollars. We understand what it takes to go up against property owners and their insurance providers, and we have a record of success in handling even the most complex of slip, trip, and fall cases.
How Much Should You Settle For A Slip and Fall?
When it comes to these types of accidents, victims tend to underestimate the extent of their injuries. Sometimes what you assume is just a bruise or a bump, can actually lead to more serious complications later down the road. You injury attorney is here to help you determine the extent of your injuries, and how this could affect your ability to work, to maintain the same quality of life, and to recover. There is no one-size-fits-all settlement for slip and fall accidents. So the best thing you can do is discuss your situation with our attorney in a free consultation.
What Injuries Are Common After a Slip and Fall Accident?
While a slip and fall can be minor, it can still result in serious injuries, particularly if the victim is elderly. Some of the most common slip and fall injuries include:
- Fractured bones (particularly hips, wrists, or ankles)
- Concussions, skull fractures, or even brain injuries
- Neck, back or spinal cord injuries
- Broken fingers or toes
- Soft tissue injuries including muscle strains and torn ligaments
- Nerve damage, either severe or minor
- Dislocated shoulders, hips, etc.
Our Houston slip and fall injury lawyers are experts at handling premises liability in Texas. Call our office today at (713) 999-4801 or contact us online to request a complimentary case evaluation. Hablamos español.
I am very pleased with my experience, Falon was very helpful throughout my case and was able to put the most back into my pockets in a timely manner. I highly recommend choosing this law firm to take care of you the best way possible!- Chris W.
Payne Law Firm was invaluable in helping my family navigate the most difficult situation we had ever experienced. Mr. Payne and his entire staff were professional, responsive, and empathetic throughout the entire process.- Fatimar J.
My experience with "Payne Law Firm" was extraordinary! They were efficient, professional, and persistent. I have and will continue to recommend “Payne Law Firm” because you are treated like family!- Sheori S.
My experience at Payne Law Firm was very pleasant. I had no worries at all. He was there for everything I needed help with.- Gloria J.
Get Started with Your Free Initial Consultation
If you or someone you love slipped and fell, leading to serious injuries and other losses, due to a property owner’s negligence, reach out to Payne Law Firm today. In Texas, you only have two years from the date of the accident (in most cases) to file a lawsuit, and the sooner you act, the better. When you contact our team, we will begin immediately investigating the accident and working with you to develop a personalized legal strategy aimed at protecting your rights and securing the best possible outcome.
We will help you every step of the way, providing answers to your questions and continuing to update you on the status of your case.
We have helped over a thousand injured individuals and families get the compensation they deserved.
We not only understand the complexities of insurance companies but know how to fight them.
Our team knows the importance of your case and is committed to doing what is best for you.