Charlotte Truck Accident Attorney
We Are Ready to Fight Aggressively for Your Truck Accident Settlement
When massive semi-trucks, 18-wheelers, and tractor-trailers collide with smaller passenger vehicles, the occupants of the smaller vehicles are at a high risk of suffering catastrophic or even fatal injuries. Unfortunately, large truck accidents are far more common than many people realize. The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) reports that, in 2018 (the latest year for which data are currently available), there were 4,415 fatal accidents involving large trucks and another 107,000 crashes resulting in injuries.
If you or someone you love was involved in an accident with a large semi-truck or tractor-trailer, you already know just how devastating these collisions are. At Payne Law Firm, we are committed to helping you seek justice and fair financial recovery for your losses. Led by our experienced Charlotte truck accident attorney, our firm has successfully represented countless injured individuals and the surviving family members of those wrongfully killed in serious truck accidents since 2004.
Common Causes of Truck Accidents
As in other types of motor vehicle accident claims, it is important that we determine how a truck accident occurred, as this allows us to uncover who is liable for the resulting damages. While truck driver negligence is a common cause of these accidents, it is far from the only reason why they happen.
Some of the most common direct and proximate causes of truck accidents include:
- Distracted driving, including using a cell phone or texting
- Driving while impaired (alcohol and/or controlled substances)
- Speeding, including driving too fast for weather conditions
- Fatigued driving and/or falling asleep at the wheel
- Federal hours-of-service regulation violations
- Reckless or aggressive driving
- Traffic law violations (unlawful passing, running red lights, etc.)
- Pressure from trucking companies to meet strict deadlines/schedules
- Negligent hiring and supervision
- Improper training of truck drivers and supervisors
- Improper truck maintenance/failure to conduct regular truck maintenance
- Defective trucks/truck parts
- Dangerous and/or defective roadways
At Payne Law Firm, we know how to thoroughly investigate truck accident cases in order to determine exactly what happened and which factors contributed to or caused the collision. This allows us to create a strong case on behalf of our clients.
Liability in Truck Accident Cases
Establishing liability in truck accident cases can be complicated. Even if a truck driver was negligent, his or her employer might be legally responsible for his/her actions. In other cases, third-party negligence might come into play. For example, if you were involved in a truck accident that was caused by another negligent motorist, you may be entitled to file a claim against that motorist’s insurance provider. You may also be entitled to seek compensation from the trucking company if the truck driver reacted poorly to changing conditions due to violating hours-of-service rules. If a defective part, such as a truck tire that blew out on the highway, led to an accident, you may be able to file a claim against the product manufacturer or distributor.
As you can see, truck accident claims are incredibly complex. It takes the experience, resources, and skill of a knowledgeable attorney to effectively pursue compensation.
Why Do I Need An Attorney for My Truck Accident Claim?
While you are not required by any laws to have a lawyer represent you in a personal injury lawsuit, there are several reasons you should hire a tractor trailer accident lawyer to fight on your behalf:
- An attorney can help prevent you from being falsely blamed for the accident, which has the potential to reduce your settlement
- An attorney can interact and negotiate with the tractor trailer company on your behalf so that you can focus on your recovery
- An attorney can help guide you through the legal process; this is important because trucking companies can be especially complicated to deal with
- An attorney can help you determine a fair settlement amount by calculating the damages you have suffered, including any long-term disabilities or change in quality of life
What is the Average Payout for a Truck Accident?
Accidents involving trucks often result in more catastrophic injuries than the typical car accident. As such, they often result in higher settlement amounts to help compensate victims for a variety of different factors:
- Medical costs (both immediate and future)
- Lost wages (particularly if you are unable to return to your job)
- Costs associated with permanent disability (in-home care, therapy, adaptive devices)
- Pain and suffering, mental anguish, loss of enjoyment of life
- Funeral/burial costs (for victims who are killed in trucking accidents)
- Loss of companionship/consortium
Every case is unique, so a fair settlement about is best determined by talking to a professional trucking accident lawyer about the details of your case.
“Payne Law Firm was invaluable in helping my family navigate the most difficult situation we had ever experienced. Mr. Payne and his entire staff were professional, responsive, and empathetic throughout the entire process.” - Fatimar J.
“My experience with "Payne Law Firm" was extraordinary! They were efficient, professional, and persistent. I have and will continue to recommend “Payne Law Firm” because you are treated like family!” - Sheori S.
“My experience at Payne Law Firm was very pleasant. I had no worries at all. He was there for everything I needed help with.” - Gloria J.
“I have used Payne Law Firm services on several different occasions and have always been pleased with the outcomes.” - Leonard J.
“Payne Law Firm calmed my fears and assisted with easing my pain, by always being available to answer my questions, calming my fears, explaining the law to me in layman’s terms, while offering comfort and support.” - Joyre T.
After a truck accident, you will have to deal with a number of new, unexpected challenges. This might include learning to live with a new disability, seeking medical treatment for your injuries, taking time off work to heal, managing daily expenses while you are out of work, and attending counseling sessions to help you cope with all of these changes. You likely do not have the time—nor the energy—to also handle a personal injury lawsuit.
That’s where we come in. At Payne Law Firm, we provide serious representation for serious injuries. Our client-focused, results-driven approach has helped us earn a reputation among insurance companies as a firm that doesn’t back down from a challenge. Our proven record of success provides clients with the peace of mind they need, knowing that their cases are in good hands.
We do not charge any out-of-pocket expenses and only collect attorney’s fees if we secure compensation for our clients. Our truck accident attorney in Charlotte is fully prepared to take your case to trial if the liable party refuses to offer a fair settlement. No matter your situation, we will fight for you.
Client-FocusedWe will help you every step of the way, providing answers to your questions and continuing to update you on the status of your case.
A History of SuccessWe have helped over a thousand injured individuals and families get the compensation they deserved.
Battle-TestedWe not only understand the complexities of insurance companies but know how to fight them.
Full TransparencyOur team knows the importance of your case and is committed to doing what is best for you.