Houston Personal Injury Lawyer
Filing a Personal Injury Claim in Houston
Texas law allows individuals who are harmed due to the negligent or wrongful conduct of others to take legal action and seek financial compensation for their losses. In most cases, to file a personal injury claim or lawsuit, you will need to prove that another person or party acted (through act or omission) carelessly, recklessly, or intentionally and that this conduct is what caused your injuries and damages. As the plaintiff, or person filing the claim, you have the burden of proof, meaning it is your responsibility to prove your case. This can be difficult without the help of an experienced attorney by your side.
Since 2004, Payne Law Firm has been helping clients in Houston and the nearby areas navigate the process of filing a personal injury claim and recovering compensation for their economic and non-economic losses. Led by founding Houston, Texas personal injury attorney, Jason E. Payne, our award-winning team has successfully secured millions of dollars in compensation for our clients. We are ready to fight for you and the justice you deserve.
Why Choose Payne Law Firm?
Being injured in an accident is a frightening, overwhelming experience. It can be difficult to know what to do or where to turn—and that’s where we come in. At Payne Law Firm, we have the experience and resources needed to protect your rights and fight for the maximum compensation you deserve. Throughout our years in practice, we have earned a reputation for taking on complex cases and successfully securing the results our clients needed. Insurance companies know that we will not back down from even the toughest of challenges, and they know that we are always prepared to take our clients’ cases to trial to recover the full, fair compensation they are owed.
While we are aggressive in our approach to litigation, we are compassionate when it comes to helping our clients navigate the legal process. We understand what you have been through, as well as the challenges that still lay ahead. Our personal injury lawyers in Houston take the time to get to know you, listen to your story, and work with you to develop a personalized legal strategy aimed at maximizing your recovery. We are there for you every step of the way, ready to answer your questions and provide the clear, honest, and consistent communication you need to feel confident in your case.
Contact our personal injury attorney in Houston online or by calling (713) 999-4801 today!
How We can Help
Our firm represents clients in and around the Greater Houston Area in all types of personal injury litigation. We devote a significant portion of our practice to motor vehicle accidents, including those involving passenger cars, 18-wheelers and semi-trucks, motorcycles, bicycles, and pedestrians. We also have extensive experience representing clients in complex premises liability and product liability lawsuits, catastrophic injury cases, and wrongful death lawsuits.
We invite you to browse our various practice areas here on our website to learn more about the types of cases our personal injury attorneys in Houston handle and how our team can help you get back on your feet.
Frequently Asked Questions
When Should I Contact a Personal Injury Attorney?
We recommend you call a personal injury lawyer as soon as you can after an accident. The sooner your attorney can get started on your case, the better your chance of receiving maximum compensation. Your attorney can help you avoid making costly mistakes, such as saying the wrong thing to the insurance company, or missing an important filing deadline. It's also necessary for your personal injury lawyer in Houston to collect important evidence related to your claim before it gets lost.
How Much Does A Personal Injury Lawyer Cost?
Personal injury attorneys in Texas handle cases on a continency fee basis. This is commonly referred to as a “no recovery, no fee guarantee”. Your personal injury must win your case, either by securing a favorable settlement or achieving a jury verdict at trial, in order to receive payment for their legal services. The cost of the attorney's services will be paid out of the compensation they win for their client. The average contingency fee is usually around 33% but may differ between attorneys by a small margin.
Will My Personal Injury Case Go to Trial?
It's unlikely that your injury case will end up in court. Only about 5% of personal injury cases every proceed to trial; most are settled either before a lawsuit has even be filed or prior to the beginning of the trial. Court cases are lengthy and expensive, so both sides of a case are highly motivated to avoid litigation. However, if your lawyer does not feel that a settlement offered by the opposing side is enough to fairly compensate you for damages, they may recommend going to court in order to secure what your case is really worth.
What Does a Personal Injury Lawyer Do?
Accidents can happen at any time, often leaving individuals with physical injuries, emotional distress, and financial burdens. In such situations, a personal injury lawyer plays a crucial role in helping victims seek justice and compensation for their losses. Here, we delve into the responsibilities and functions of a personal injury lawyer.
- Legal Consultation and Assessment: Personal injury lawyers begin by offering a free initial consultation to evaluate the merits of a potential case. During this consultation, they listen to the client's account of the incident and assess its legal viability. They consider factors such as liability, negligence, and the extent of injuries sustained.
- Investigation: Once they take on a case, personal injury lawyers initiate a comprehensive investigation. This includes gathering evidence, interviewing witnesses, reviewing medical records, and consulting experts if necessary. The goal is to build a strong case that establishes the liability of the responsible party.
- Legal Advocacy: Personal injury lawyers serve as staunch advocates for their clients. They negotiate with insurance companies, opposing attorneys, and other relevant parties to secure a fair settlement. If negotiations fail, they are prepared to take the case to court and represent their client in front of a judge and jury.
- Case Valuation: Assessing the value of a personal injury case is a complex process. Lawyers consider various factors, such as medical expenses, lost wages, pain and suffering, and long-term consequences of the injuries. They work diligently to ensure their clients are compensated adequately for their losses.
- Client Support: Beyond legal expertise, personal injury lawyers offer emotional support to their clients during a challenging time. They guide them through the legal process, answer questions, and provide reassurance. This support is essential in reducing the stress and anxiety often associated with personal injury cases.
- Expertise in Personal Injury Law: Personal injury lawyers specialize in this area of law, making them well-versed in the nuances and intricacies of personal injury cases. Their expertise allows them to navigate the legal system effectively and maximize the compensation their clients receive.