Charlotte Dog Bite Lawyer
Legal Representation for Dog Bites & Attacks in NC
At Payne Law Firm, we understand the fear and distress that can arise from being bitten or attacked by a dog, whether it's a familiar pet owned by a family member, friend, or neighbor, or an unfamiliar dog. We also acknowledge that filing a dog bite claim can be a sensitive matter, especially when the dog owner is someone you know. However, it's essential to remember that you shouldn't bear the burden of medical expenses, lost wages, and the pain and suffering you're enduring on your own.
When you decide to pursue a dog bite claim, your aim is typically to seek compensation from the dog owner's insurance provider. Their insurance coverage is designed to protect victims in such situations. However, it's common for the insurance company to dispute or undervalue your claim, and they might even attempt to deny it entirely. Therefore, we strongly advise you to get in touch with our team at Payne Law Firm. Our Charlotte dog bite attorneys can provide you with the necessary assistance to safeguard your rights. We have successfully recovered millions of dollars in compensation for our clients, including individuals who have suffered catastrophic injuries and losses due to dog bites or attacks.
Is North Carolina a Strict Liability State for Dog Bites?
Yes, North Carolina is considered a strict liability state for dog bites. Under North Carolina law, dog owners can be held strictly liable for injuries caused by their dogs, regardless of whether the owner knew or should have known about the dog's dangerous propensities. This means that the owner is responsible for damages resulting from a dog bite or attack, even if they were not negligent in controlling or restraining their dog.
In North Carolina, a dog owner can be held liable if:
- The dog caused injury or property damage.
- The injured person was lawfully on the property where the incident occurred.
- The injured person did not provoke the dog.
The statute of limitations in North Carolina for filing a dog bite claim is generally three years from the date of the incident. It's advisable to consult with a personal injury attorney in Charlotte, NC who specializes in dog bite cases to understand your rights and legal options if you've been bitten or attacked by a dog in the state.
When Is a Dog Considered “Dangerous" in NC?
In North Carolina, a dog is considered "dangerous" if it meets certain criteria outlined by state law. According to the North Carolina General Statutes (Chapter 67, Article 1B), a dog is deemed dangerous if:
- It has inflicted severe injury on a person without provocation on public or private property.
- It has killed or inflicted severe injury on a domestic animal without provocation while off the owner's property.
- It has been previously determined to be "potentially dangerous" and subsequently commits an additional act that causes severe injury or death to a person or domestic animal without provocation.
What to Do If You Are Bitten or Attacked by a Dog in NC
If you are bitten or attacked by a dog in North Carolina, it's crucial to take the following steps:
- Seek Medical Attention: Your health and safety should be your top priority. Get medical treatment for your injuries, even if they seem minor. Prompt medical attention can prevent complications and help document your injuries.
- Identify the Dog and Owner: If possible, try to identify the dog and its owner. Take note of their names, contact information, and any other relevant details, such as the dog's breed and physical description.
- Report the Incident: Contact the local animal control agency or law enforcement to report the dog bite or attack. They can investigate the incident and ensure public safety.
- Document Evidence: Preserve any evidence related to the incident. Take photographs of your injuries, the location where the incident occurred, and any visible signs of negligence or lack of control over the dog. Keep medical records, bills, and any other relevant documents.
- Gather Witness Information: If there were any witnesses to the incident, obtain their contact information. Their statements may be valuable in supporting your claim.
- Consult an Attorney: It's advisable to consult with a personal injury attorney who specializes in dog bite cases in North Carolina. They can guide you through the legal process, protect your rights, and help you pursue a claim for compensation.
The laws regarding dog bites and liability can be complex, so it's essential to seek professional legal advice to understand your rights and options based on the specific circumstances of your case.
I am very pleased with my experience, Falon was very helpful throughout my case and was able to put the most back into my pockets in a timely manner. I highly recommend choosing this law firm to take care of you the best way possible!- Chris W.
Payne Law Firm was invaluable in helping my family navigate the most difficult situation we had ever experienced. Mr. Payne and his entire staff were professional, responsive, and empathetic throughout the entire process.- Fatimar J.
My experience with "Payne Law Firm" was extraordinary! They were efficient, professional, and persistent. I have and will continue to recommend “Payne Law Firm” because you are treated like family!- Sheori S.
My experience at Payne Law Firm was very pleasant. I had no worries at all. He was there for everything I needed help with.- Gloria J.
Discuss Your Legal Options After a Dog Bite
In the aftermath of the attack, it is crucial to promptly contact a skilled personal injury attorney. At Payne Law Firm, our team of Charlotte dog bite lawyers is well-equipped to assist you in navigating the necessary procedures and seeking justice against the responsible dog owner. You should not bear the overwhelming burden of physical, emotional, and financial consequences alone. Rest assured, we are here to support you in your journey towards recovery.
By enlisting our services, we will strive to secure fair compensation for the damages you have suffered, enabling you to rebuild your life. We understand the complexities of dog bite cases and are dedicated to holding negligent individuals accountable.
We will help you every step of the way, providing answers to your questions and continuing to update you on the status of your case.
We have helped over a thousand injured individuals and families get the compensation they deserved.
We not only understand the complexities of insurance companies but know how to fight them.
Our team knows the importance of your case and is committed to doing what is best for you.