Drunk Driving Accident Attorneys in Houston
How to File a Drunk Driving Accident Claim in Texas
An intoxicated motorist who causes an accident may be held accountable for victims' injuries and other damages. If you or a loved one were harmed as a result of a drunk driving accident in Texas, you may have the right to seek compensation for your medical bills, lost income, pain, and suffering, as well as other damages.
At Payne Law Firm, our drunk driving accident lawyers are backed by years of experience and we have devoted ourselves to supporting victims of drunk driving accidents in Houston and the neighboring areas. Our experienced legal team can help you understand your rights and walk you through the claims procedure. We are prepared to fight for the maximum amount of compensation you are entitled to.
What to Do After a Drunk Driving Accident
After a drunk driving accident, it is important to take the right steps to protect your health and your right to recover compensation. Here’s what you should do:
- Call 911: If you or anyone else is injured, call 911 and request an ambulance. The police will also respond to the scene and create an accident report.
- Get medical attention: Even if you don't think you were hurt significantly, visit a doctor as soon as possible. Some traumas, such as brain injuries and internal bleeding, may not be noticeable right away. Seeing a doctor will also provide you with a record of your injuries, which will be essential if you decide to file a claim.
- Don’t admit fault: Even if you think you may have contributed to the accident, don’t say so at the scene. You may not have all the facts, and it is up to the police and your insurance company to determine who is at fault.
- Gather evidence: Take photos accident, your injuries, and any property damage if you are able. Collect the contact and insurance information of the other driver, as well as the names, contact information, and statements of any bystanders.
- Avoid speaking with the other driver's insurance provider: They may contact you and want a recorded statement from you. You are not compelled to do so, and it is not usually in your best interests. Your statement may be used against you by the insurance company to diminish the value of your claim.
- Contact a lawyer: An expert drunk driving accident lawyer in Houston at Payne Law Firm can help educate you about your rights and guide you through the claims process. They can also manage any insurance company interactions on your behalf.
How Long Do You Have to File a Drunk Driving Accident Claim in Texas?
You have two years from the date of the accident to file a personal injury claim. If you do not file a claim within this time frame, you will be barred from recovering compensation. However, there are some exceptions to this rule. For example, if the victim was a minor at the time of the accident, the two-year statute of limitations does not begin to run until the victim turns 18.
Call (713) 999-4801 or contact us online to speak with a seasoned drunk driving accident attorney in Houston at Payne Law Firm. We offer free consultations.
I am very pleased with my experience, Falon was very helpful throughout my case and was able to put the most back into my pockets in a timely manner. I highly recommend choosing this law firm to take care of you the best way possible!- Chris W.
Payne Law Firm was invaluable in helping my family navigate the most difficult situation we had ever experienced. Mr. Payne and his entire staff were professional, responsive, and empathetic throughout the entire process.- Fatimar J.
My experience with "Payne Law Firm" was extraordinary! They were efficient, professional, and persistent. I have and will continue to recommend “Payne Law Firm” because you are treated like family!- Sheori S.
My experience at Payne Law Firm was very pleasant. I had no worries at all. He was there for everything I needed help with.- Gloria J.
We will help you every step of the way, providing answers to your questions and continuing to update you on the status of your case.
We have helped over a thousand injured individuals and families get the compensation they deserved.
We not only understand the complexities of insurance companies but know how to fight them.
Our team knows the importance of your case and is committed to doing what is best for you.